Skip to main content

Sierra In Training | Week 6 Update

Ride 23, Sunday, February 16, 2020


Since the short string of excellent rides began, it seems as though CA and Sierra have been on a roll.  CA had yet another early morning ride on the queen due to a clinic, and it once again elicited super results.  Sierra was lovely once again, and CA decided to revisit the Flying Changes - something she had put on the back burner the passed few weeks as they worked through some serious tension which lead to some behavioral issues.  CA was happy to report she was clean and connected 90% of the time, which I'll take.  She tends to bounce between 50% (with me) and 100% (once, with CA) provided she's relaxed, connected and focused.  There are still days when mentally it causes physical issues (IE tension) that there's no point in even touching on the changes at all, so they are absolutely a work in progress but I get the impression she's really starting to understand what she's supposed to do.. but sometimes, when she's tense, she can't quite make her body do what it needs to in order to change clean.  Sierra was apparently pretty excited at all the jumps set up in the arena for the clinic so that could be contributing to missing or being late a few times, but CA rewarded her by popping over a few fences at the end of her ride.


Ride 24, Monday, February 17, 2020


CA sent me a super cute video of Sierra sighing while eating her grain before CA began to tack up.  She doesn't particularly like one ingredient in her mash and I made them quite hefty as I anticipated her to lose weight (surprise, she didn't really lose any - CA said somehow she seems fatter lol) in Training, and she was struggling to finish them in one sitting.  As such, we decided to give her the bucket while CA tacked up, and then she could finish what was left post-ride.  It has helped her clean up her grain, and even though she's free-fed I do like the idea of knowing there's something in her tummy before a ride.  Despite her lazily rummaging through he bucket pre-ride, CA said Sierra was rarin' to go under saddle. She said she was hot and forward, but in a very positive way which made CA really happy. She was game to do the things, and seemed really happy and excited, though CA made it sound as though she was a lot to keep up with. I'm not really sure why, but occasionally Sierra had days like that even with me where I would literally just bridge my reins and pick a gait and let her do that gait as fast as she wanted. Her ears were always pricked and she was just livin' her best life - so sometimes, you've just gotta go with the flow and enjoy the happy horse you have underneath you.

CA advised me that she wouldn't be riding on Tuesday due to a sudden temperature drop yielding temps around -40 yet again. Luckily (and I realize I am 100% jinxing this), it looks like, and I feel like, this might be the last horrah of winter.. Please, let me be right.


Ride 25, Wednesday, February 19, 2020


Ride 25!  Crap weather had slowed the process a little given that Sierra spent the first week 'in training' just monchin' in the field but regardless I feel like CA has made great progress in just 25 rides.  Their ride on Wednesday resulted in a very physically exhausted CA as Sierra was fresh and feelin' herself and CA spent the entire ride using her core and seat to try and maintain a rhythm without touching her face because Sierra was a zoomy noodle.  She said she wasn't naughty at all, she was just very strong and forward in a positive way. We joked about the fact that I am 100% going to die because she's getting really fit, and I suggested CA ride her for at least 7 hours before I get back on her.


CA: "I hope you're ready to use your core"
Me: "........ what core?"

Ride 26, Thursday, February 20, 2020


Ride 26 yielded another tough day for CA as Sierra was once again, feelin' herself.  Between that, and the snow sliding off the [very, very tall] arena roof, Sierra was a tough ride and CA definitely earned her paycheque.  At one point, Sierra spooked and ran off with CA to which she mentioned how grateful she was that she was in the indoor otherwise she would have needed a pickup man to rescue her.  I can't say I've ever had a legit run-away on Sierra, but it seems like she's really pulling out all the stops for CA.  

Ride 27, Friday, February 21, 2020


On Friday morning, CA and I finalized Sierra's entry form for the show the following weekend and CA headed to the barn to get on with her day.  Several hours later, I got a text from CA that said Sierra was "so good today", followed by several crying emojis.



Ride 28, Saturday, February 22, 2020


On Saturday I was swamped with a trip to the city for an ultrasound and some shopping and I didn't have a chance to catch up with CA about her ride. I knew Sierra was getting Sunday off, but Sunday was a busy day as well and we finally were able to connect later in the evening. I didn't have a ton of time to chat as we were taking our big mare in for a Vet appointment, but she reported that she had a great ride - She said Sierra had a few spazzy moments but she was quick to relax.


The game plan for her last week is to just show prep.  She's hoping to keep things relaxed and just work her through the test requirements with ease and have a slightly lower expectation - in her words "I'm not going to drill her and expect them to be Fourth Level quality as I have been".  I think trying to keep things relaxed on this last week will help get Sierra in a better mind set for the show and I can't wait to see her in just a few days!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Analysis & February Goals

We have survived the first month of 2019 and as I expected, we were hit with both Snowmageddon AND Mother-Fcking-Cold-Mageddon.. and we were also hit with "oh my god it's nice, I wanna garden and play with ponies outside" as well as "it is so windy, I think my face literally got stretched off my skull".. We have literally had all 4 seasons in the past 30 days, and while some days were glorious, it also put a damper on my January goals . January Goals: Spend at least 4 Hours in the Saddle I'm going to call this a win. I had some issues with my Equilab app that required Technical Support and some of my rides were lost, so while I currently have about 3.6 Hrs logged for January, I'm thinking I hit 4, or just over. Continue with regular Stretching (on the ground) I definitely put a lot of time into this, and also introduced a new REMT who gave me additional stretches to do.  At our 2nd appointment, she said there was noticeable difference! Sp...

Field Trip No. 003 | HTS II: Working The Steps

On March 30, the local Sport Horse Club that I am the president of, hosted our second Hunter Training Series Show, "HTS II".  Many of you probably recall the first show  ("HTS I"), which was pretty fucking terrible.  I was very torn on going to the second show as my rides since the first show were very sub par and quite disappointing to say the least, but I had determined that if I could clear my head and go into it open minded, I would go for another schooling opportunity.. and I literally left it to the last possible minute to decide. I was feeling overwhelmed when my truck was broken down and the parts arrived late, so until roughly 2:30 PM on Friday afternoon, I had no idea if I was even going to be able to haul Sierra to the arena for the show. I concluded if I couldn't haul her in on Friday and stall overnight I wouldn't take her, as I am far too busy running the show to haul her in the day of.. but alas the parts arrived, my hubby came thru and ...

Field Trip No. 002 | HTS I Show: C'est La Vie

On Friday, March 1st I left work early and headed home to load my horse trailer full of supplies for the Horse Show that we store at my house.  Our first show of the year was scheduled for Saturday, March 2nd and not only was I running it, but I had also planned to ride in it.  It's a 3 Part Hunter Training Series (AKA HTS I), and we had a Walk/Trot Division, and a Hack Division in addition to over fences from Cross Rails to 2'6 with flats & jogs.  I had entered the W/T under saddles but skipped the in-hand because I didn't feel like it was fair to be eligible for the W/T High Point, and I also entered the 3 Hack Classes.  "C" was bringing Hershey as well, and as a fellow show committee member she and I decided to haul Sierra and Hershey into the arena on Friday to stall over night. This show has been on my radar since much earlier this winter, and it was a stretch goal at best, but I knew I wanted to 'go through the motions' of a show to see how ...