Skip to main content

Finding The Balance

Loyal readers will be familiar with the many references I make to living on a farm.  My husband and I both work full time in addition to operating a fully functioning farm.  We own 160 acres (small potatoes in this area) and farm hay and grain.  While Sierra is currently boarded at the local indoor, we still have horses at home as well as chickens, cats (barn & house) and dogs in addition to goals of development for our fixer-upper farm.  Throw in a lovely time change, a twinge of seasonal sads, personal issues and I suddenly find myself somersaulting in slow motion down the rabbit hole destined to land head-first on the struggle bus.


My life, like many, isn't easy.  Our farm is a lot of work, and I am tired.  I get more rest on the week days than I do on the weekends because weekends mean I can spend a solid 8-18 hrs working on the farm.  In addition, everything during the week seems harder as the temperatures plummet, the fluffy white stuff blankets the ground, and it's dark by 4:00 PM.  Our only source of heat in our home is wood, so lately our time has been consumed by getting firewood. Luckily the beautiful trails on our property are littered with deadfall so we often take the quad and it's corresponding wagon and get a load, but we cut, split, stack, etc by hand and it's time consuming to say the least.  Naturally, this sense of overwhelming difficulty leads to the notion that "somethings got to give" and it's always hobbies that are the casualties.  Many of you will likely remember that I ride a very fine line of balls-to-the-wall-dedicated and motivation-of-a-content-sloth when it comes to riding, but on top of that I also have a horrendous guilt complex that aids the spiral of defeat.  If you asked me a month ago how my mental state and balance was, I would have told you I was killin' it with riding 5-6x a week and life on the farm, but that was when it was light until 7 PM, the soil was warm and pliable, and I didn't have an injured horse at home needing doctoring or a weaned baby needing her lessons.  I wasn't feeling the crunch of winter and the seasonal curtains drawing shut by the minute.  

Image may contain: tree, outdoor, nature and text

I've concluded that when the weather changes, so does my motivation with riding; coupled with a severe guilt complex that leads me to feel like quitting vs. persevering, I find myself struggling to find the balance in my life once again.  In the past, I combated this feeling by pushing myself and forcing myself to do the things I didn't feel like doing, and it wound up completely burning me out and sending the spiral even deeper than I ever fathomed.  Instead, while I still have to battle the negative, guilt-ridden thoughts that streak through my brain, I am putting my mental health on the priority list and choosing to be kind to myself. I have concluded that with my to-do list at home, it's no longer reasonable to ride 5-6x a week.  I've also concluded that I need to remain grounded and remember that I ride because I love to ride, not because I need to prove or accomplish anything. Seriously. Nothing.  It's winter time, and instead of telling myself I am going to school hard and set lustrous goals for 2020, I am just going to school and enjoy it.  


What fires me up seems to be seasonal. Right now, I revel in the idea of laughing off a spook or a 15 min trot-around before feeding copious amounts of cookies and heading home.  In the spring time, I am appalled at these intentions and instead, the notion of competing gets me out of bed in the morning.  The important lesson I've learned in these realizations, is that neither of these goals are wrong for me.  You may have noticed my monthly goals stopped some time ago; but my goal for the remainder of the year is to be kind to myself and enjoy the journey and find the balance in life.

No photo description available.

** I apologize if this is a little dry, but first and foremost I blog for myself; a journal of sorts. I know I will need to refer back to this post for years to come.

Note To Self: Make more time for moments like this

Comments

  1. It's so hard to find incentive to do anything away from the couch in the winters up here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; Covid Edition

 While we all live in different towns, have different goals and different lives - but one thing that we all have in common is what a wild and wonky year 2020 was.  The reality is, it's all affected us in one way or another, and with 2020 coming to an end it's time to reflect and look hopeful towards an improved 2021. What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: Hands down, the birth of my daughter .  After 4 years of fertility struggles, I'm beyond grateful and though some days feel like an eternity of struggle, confusion and pain, my heart has never been more full. Horsey: It's hard to choose. Despite hardly riding, I've had a lot of wonderful horsey-filled memories this year.  From the birth of Phascinating BRR , my second homebred to date, to the few rides I got to enjoy and making a major investment in my breeding business, there's been lots to be thankful for. What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: It's

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything