Skip to main content

July Goals + June Analysis

June has potentially been one of the most weird months.  Besides it being my busiest time of year at work, we have had god-awful weather.  The beginning of the month brought unseasonably warm weather, something we are just simply not used to.  With that warm weather came an abundance of wild fires in a 500km radius that left the air quality so severely hindered, I refused to exercise any of the horses.  Following the heat wave, we have spent the past two weeks on the opposite end of the spectrum; it is now monsoon season, apparently.  I was also at the Vet an average of 3x a week with Vida trying to get her re bred, and I felt like a chicken with it's head cut off, for reals.  Regardless, I did find some time to do pone-things, my hubby went to another show, and overall it was a pretty decent month but the weather compromised my arena footing for the better part of the month, when we weren't fighting smoke inhalation concerns.

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

June Goals
  • Spend at least 8 hours in the saddle
    I didn't track it, but I don't think I hit it.
  • Care less about perfection, and more about having fun
    I think I did ok with this.
  • Ride bareback in a halter (or halterless) at least 5 times, working on feel
    I definitely rode bareback/in a a halter quite a lot and feel some improvements in my seat and balance.
  • Do more hand walks out of the arena
    Didn't do any of these.. 
  • Focus on K&S' Relaxation & my fluidity
    I didn't wind up riding Kidd a ton, but I did focus on this a lot with Sierra.
  • Develop more stretch into the contact
    We were getting there, though my last 'arena ride' was my Lesson with Friend S where it definitely didn't cultivate relaxation or stretch. 
  • Get Vida settled (IE Bred & confirmed in foal)
    Ugh, don't ask... 
  • Introduce Amara to sprays (Water, fly spray, etc)
    Oops, I totally forgot about this.. though she did get wound spray put on a cut she had at the Vet and she didn't even flinch.  Once the monsoon passes I'd like to bath her and Vida.
  • Get Amara posted for sale
    Done, but should cross post more.
  • Get Kidd posted for sale pending PPE results on June 14
    Kidd is already sold and off to his new home
  • * Stretch Goal * Set up an online lesson (but test the connection first)
    The weather hasn't allowed for this - but I did arrange the lesson with Friend S!
Oof, that's far more red than I like to see!

Hubby and his dude

July Goals
  • Spend at least 8 hours in the saddle
  • Pick a new Dressage Saddle and Order it
  • Keep up with the bareback/halter to keep things fun
  • Get out of the arena at least 4x
  • Confirm Vida's pregnancy
  • Bath Vida & Amara (Weather Pending)
  • Stretch Goal * haul somewhere else to ride at least once
    ___________________
  • Saddle Fit (Try Demo's) - July 2
  • Pentosan Shot #3
  • Farrier - Reset July 24
I'm not willing to accept that it's already July - where did June go?!  Time is flyin' by.

I celebrated the long weekend with a bareback hack in my PJ's

Comments

  1. I know I'm late to replying but July is also now half over wtf.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; Covid Edition

 While we all live in different towns, have different goals and different lives - but one thing that we all have in common is what a wild and wonky year 2020 was.  The reality is, it's all affected us in one way or another, and with 2020 coming to an end it's time to reflect and look hopeful towards an improved 2021. What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: Hands down, the birth of my daughter .  After 4 years of fertility struggles, I'm beyond grateful and though some days feel like an eternity of struggle, confusion and pain, my heart has never been more full. Horsey: It's hard to choose. Despite hardly riding, I've had a lot of wonderful horsey-filled memories this year.  From the birth of Phascinating BRR , my second homebred to date, to the few rides I got to enjoy and making a major investment in my breeding business, there's been lots to be thankful for. What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: It's

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything