Skip to main content

April Analysis + May Goals

I won't lie, April was a very slow month for a variety of reasons, but that being said while I didn't reach many of my goals, I did make a point of doing some different things that I really, really enjoyed.

Image may contain: horse, sky, outdoor and nature

  • Spend at least 4 Hrs in the Saddle
    I think I was about 2 Hours Total
  • Spend at least 30 Min w/o Stirrups
    Assuming bareback counts, I nailed this because I rode bareback all month
  • Get out of the arena at least 3 times
    I ended up taking Sierra home early in April, so every ride was outdoors but other than a short wander down the road, I didn't hack out at all.
  • Continue to develop the R + R + C in W & T
    Given that I was riding bareback, I didn't really work on any of this
  • Continue to correct the unevenness in the reins
    Also did not do this
  • Do more ground work yielding front + hind quarters
    I definitely did a fair bit of ground work
  • Do at least 1 fun and 'out of the ordinary' thing
    We definitely did this!
---------------------------------------------------------
  • Omeprazole Treatment
    To start once I bring Sierra home
  • Farrier Appointment
    Shoes, April 27
  • REMT Appointment #4
    April 6
  • Saddle Fit #2
    TBA
Image may contain: one or more people, horse, sky, outdoor and nature

I have a hard time with goals, because I absolutely hate not accomplishing them.... but I've got to say, I am overall pretty happy with how my time with Sierra went in April.  My Saddle Fitter took my Dressage Saddle home at HTS II (March 30) before going out of town, so it was about mid-April before she got a chance to look at my saddle.  In the meantime, I had lent my Jump saddle to a friend to borrow so I was saddle-less, and between that and the projected weather I chose to take Sierra home... but in typical Alberta fashion, upon taking Sierra home the weather quickly changed for the worse and it didn't leave for very desirable riding weather.  Without diving too far into things, my Dressage saddle is unfortunately not going to work for Sierra and as a result, my saddle is for sale and I will be saddle shopping in the near future.  It's bitter sweet, but has opened up a doorway to spending a lot of time riding bareback working on my own body and balance, and it has been incredibly enjoyable and I want to carry that feeling into May.


May Goals

  • Spend at least 5 Hours in the Saddle
  • Ride Bareback in a  Halter at least twice
  • Hack out at least 4 times
  • R + R + C in all 3 gaits 
  • Jump at least once
    ___________________________
  • PEMF Appointment #1 (2019)
  • Pentosan Injection
Image may contain: sky, horse, grass, tree, outdoor and nature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything

Farewell, Sierra | How & Why I Chose My Trainer

I've mentioned several times now that Sierra is going down to my trainers, Carol Ann's (often referred to as "CA" because #lazy), and I thought it fitting to make a post solely related to my decision and the process I took to find her.  I have never used a trainer before and it's been several years since I had the pleasure of having a regular coach (IE: a clinician who came here 6x a year), and it wasn't a decision I made lightly.  Perhaps I feel the need to explain myself and work through my decision to clarify things in my own brain, or perhaps I thought my situation may help others who find their way to my blog. Either way, as I write this future-scheduled post, Sierra is currently on the road and I am a total nervous-nelly about the entire situation. Trying on Liners to prepare to pack Late last summer, I was driving 'round and 'round dragging a square baler for hours on end while I contemplated all life's biggest questions.  As I f