Skip to main content

Road to a Foal: S's Breeding Saga Pt. 2

 When I last left off with Part 1, Sierra was freshly inseminated.

I remember as a child, feeling like time had physically slowed down as I awaited something exciting - Christmas, Birthdays, Vacations, etc.  I can remember vibrating with excitement for days with anxious anticipation, but as I aged, that slowly waned.  Now as I've gotten older, that same level of excitement is there; just for different reasons.  I could barely sit on my hands long enough to await Sierra's first pregnancy check, but as days ticked by eventually the time came.

Sierra double ovulated roughly 24 hours apart, but I did my first check 10 days from the first ovulation.  After what felt like searching through her uterus for hours yielding no vesicle, I hung my head and decided to try again the next day.  I wasn't feeling terribly optimistic, but knew it was still very early and I anxiously awaited my second check.

Luckily, my excitement was reignited the following day, when my scan showed a small vesicle! It measured more consistent with a 10-Day size, but alas - it was there! I decided to check back in 2 days for growth, and luckily it was still there and growing at an appropriate rate despite still measuring about 1 day smaller.

Sometimes, some embryo's just measure a little smaller, but as long as they're growing it's nothing worth worrying about but in Sierra's case, given that I know she double-ovulated, I think it's most likely she actually caught off the second ovulation instead of the first.

I checked Sierra a few more times since then; once to do a final twin-check before the vesicle implanted into the uterine lining, once more to check for growth, and then a final time to check for a heartbeat before making her pregnancy public knowledge.

Meeting her 14 Day-Old baby? 


23 Days


30 Days

Luckily a beautiful heartbeat was observed, and Sierra's off the hook for scans now for about a month when I will do a 60-Day check.

Onto the next one!




Comments

  1. Congrats!! It is so cool that you do your own u/s work... We had 1 mare check +ve at 14 days and then zilch at 45. Boo. Confirmed at 60 with bloodwork that the pregnancy had been absorbed. Talk about a bummer... :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh no kidding!! So sorry to hear! I'm really hoping mine hold on, because this late in the season if they don't, it'll be too late to try again.

      Delete
    2. Fingers crossed for you! Def. was too late for us to try again with the one mare. Need to learn more about how to minimize risk of absorbtion - I hear some mares need meds through the full pregnancy or parts of to keep the foal. Lots to learn!

      Delete
    3. Yes! Regumate can help mares with lower progesterone. I typically put mine on progesterone for the first 30 days, then test to see if they can come off it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January Analysis & February Goals

We have survived the first month of 2019 and as I expected, we were hit with both Snowmageddon AND Mother-Fcking-Cold-Mageddon.. and we were also hit with "oh my god it's nice, I wanna garden and play with ponies outside" as well as "it is so windy, I think my face literally got stretched off my skull".. We have literally had all 4 seasons in the past 30 days, and while some days were glorious, it also put a damper on my January goals . January Goals: Spend at least 4 Hours in the Saddle I'm going to call this a win. I had some issues with my Equilab app that required Technical Support and some of my rides were lost, so while I currently have about 3.6 Hrs logged for January, I'm thinking I hit 4, or just over. Continue with regular Stretching (on the ground) I definitely put a lot of time into this, and also introduced a new REMT who gave me additional stretches to do.  At our 2nd appointment, she said there was noticeable difference! Sp...

Field Trip No. 003 | HTS II: Working The Steps

On March 30, the local Sport Horse Club that I am the president of, hosted our second Hunter Training Series Show, "HTS II".  Many of you probably recall the first show  ("HTS I"), which was pretty fucking terrible.  I was very torn on going to the second show as my rides since the first show were very sub par and quite disappointing to say the least, but I had determined that if I could clear my head and go into it open minded, I would go for another schooling opportunity.. and I literally left it to the last possible minute to decide. I was feeling overwhelmed when my truck was broken down and the parts arrived late, so until roughly 2:30 PM on Friday afternoon, I had no idea if I was even going to be able to haul Sierra to the arena for the show. I concluded if I couldn't haul her in on Friday and stall overnight I wouldn't take her, as I am far too busy running the show to haul her in the day of.. but alas the parts arrived, my hubby came thru and ...

Field Trip No. 002 | HTS I Show: C'est La Vie

On Friday, March 1st I left work early and headed home to load my horse trailer full of supplies for the Horse Show that we store at my house.  Our first show of the year was scheduled for Saturday, March 2nd and not only was I running it, but I had also planned to ride in it.  It's a 3 Part Hunter Training Series (AKA HTS I), and we had a Walk/Trot Division, and a Hack Division in addition to over fences from Cross Rails to 2'6 with flats & jogs.  I had entered the W/T under saddles but skipped the in-hand because I didn't feel like it was fair to be eligible for the W/T High Point, and I also entered the 3 Hack Classes.  "C" was bringing Hershey as well, and as a fellow show committee member she and I decided to haul Sierra and Hershey into the arena on Friday to stall over night. This show has been on my radar since much earlier this winter, and it was a stretch goal at best, but I knew I wanted to 'go through the motions' of a show to see how ...