Skip to main content

Update - Phascinating BRR | 2020 KWPN Filly

 Many loyal readers may recall the birth of my second homebred as I began this adventure of being a sport horse breeder two years ago.  I had chosen to repeat the cross I produced the year prior, as I was so thrilled with the resulting filly.  I was blessed with another filly, and while similar in many ways, she is a fairly different "type" than her older sister.  

I'm counting my lucky stars, as I'm 2/2 for both my foals selling prior to weaning.   Phascinating BRR sold a few months ago, but is remaining with me until the roads are more reliable as she has a long journey ahead to her new home in south eastern Quebec; a 4200 KM (2600 Mi) trek.  

She's truly a remarkable filly and I'm extremely proud to have produced her!  I absolutely love her balance, bone, size and friendly personality.  I took some new photos recently for her new mom, and just can't help but find myself pondering how much I will miss her when she's gone.

Breeding can be tough - there's huge risks, but equally huge rewards and I'm having an absolute blast chasing my dreams of producing a small number of carefully selected Ammy-Friendly sport horses, talented enough for a professional to enjoy.

I didn't re-breed my broodmare (aka Vida/V/Vids/Mama V/Big Mama) in 2020 and I'm seriously kicking myself for it, even though it was the responsible choice. With the state of the world, and the unknown that surrounded my financial situation as I entered Mat Leave, I chose to give her the year off. While i'll miss having my own baby this year, she's been booked into a stallion for about 4 months now for Spring 2021, and I can't wait to do my very first AI!

















Comments

  1. I know very little about breeding so forgive me if this is a silly question, but how can you know if your young horses are ammy friendly yet? I feel like there's still so much that can happen between two and riding age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is, but their temperament and personality is apparent from very early on. It's said foals learn up to 90% of their mannerisms from their moms and the other horses they interact with, just like humans. Naturally, they are predisposed to some personality traits that can often be passed on, but most behaviors are learned through interaction.
      My goal is to produce horses I, as an Ammy, would love to ride. A lot of that is training (from humans and horses), and a little of it is bloodlines while controlling what teachers they have access to. As an example, I have no interest in ever breeding a mare who's flighty, stand-offish and anything less than a pleasure to handle on the ground - they could have won Gold at the Olympics but I would never let them raise a foal and teach that behavior. That'd be a candidate for Embryo Transfer, lol!

      Delete
    2. Very interesting! Thanks for the education.

      (And apologies for the rudeness of my comment -- it was late, which is not an excuse, and there were better ways to ask what I was curious about.)

      Delete
    3. Oh no!! I didn't precieve it as rude at all!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; Covid Edition

 While we all live in different towns, have different goals and different lives - but one thing that we all have in common is what a wild and wonky year 2020 was.  The reality is, it's all affected us in one way or another, and with 2020 coming to an end it's time to reflect and look hopeful towards an improved 2021. What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: Hands down, the birth of my daughter .  After 4 years of fertility struggles, I'm beyond grateful and though some days feel like an eternity of struggle, confusion and pain, my heart has never been more full. Horsey: It's hard to choose. Despite hardly riding, I've had a lot of wonderful horsey-filled memories this year.  From the birth of Phascinating BRR , my second homebred to date, to the few rides I got to enjoy and making a major investment in my breeding business, there's been lots to be thankful for. What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: It's