Skip to main content

The Season Is Upon Us

 The season is upon us, and it's the BEST time of year!
No, it's not Christmas, it's almost BREEDING SEASON!

I chose not to re-breed Vida last year due to various deciding factors - pregnancy, baby, money, pandemic, market, time, hay, and all that jazz.  I was comfortable in my decision and despite my father-in-law offering a free breeding to his Street Cry son, who I actually really like, I resisted the temptation and left her open.  I had hoped to return her to light work this year since she won't have a foal at her side, and I'm actually really looking forward to having that opportunity! Plus, I feel it will benefit her value as a broodmare in my program.  She's such a big, beautiful, lovely mare and I haven't had the pleasure of sitting on her yet, though my husband has popped on her bareback in a halter in the pasture a few times.  I may need a step ladder to haul my butt up that high (16.3), but I'm really looking forward to having the pleasure.  She's given me two fabulous foals and really weaseled her way into my heart.

Mama V looking like a dream despite having a foal at her side

This video will forever make me laugh - this was probably the 4th time she had been ridden in 5+ years and this is her absolute best attempt at sauce lol

While my hope is to ride her this season, she is still scheduled for a date with a new boy later this year.  In 2018 I bred her for the first time to the KWPN stallion Parcival, and I was so thrilled with the resulting filly, I chose to re-breed her the following year.  I had purchased the stud fee when it went on sale as I had three years to use it, but didn't fully decide to repeat the cross until she foaled.  Both fillies were very similar in many aspects, but different in several others.  I was absolutely in love with them both, and both sold well to great homes prior to weaning which was a huge plus.  I've loved Parcival since I first saw him about 15 years ago when he was still in the USA, and when he sold to Canada a few years ago I very excitedly and sat on my hands until the time was right to breed the right mare to him. I always wanted one for myself, but I've taken on breeding as a small investment opportunity (though I'm currently not making any money on it as I get started LOL), but I haven't had the opportunity to produce a 'keeper' as of yet.


Parcival (Ironically, he's primarily bred to jump but was campaigned as a Dressage horse)

For 2021, Vida is booked to be bred to the KWPN stallion Prototype.  I've really liked Prototype for some time, and with temperament and rideability as some of my top priorities in reproduction, he is well suited to Vida and my breeding program.  He is renowned for his rhythmic canter, brave and laid back personality, and fabulous work ethic.  He's proven himself in various Hunter rings, and navigates tricky courses well and is known to use the high options whenever possible.  He has a similar build to Parcival and is the same size (16.3), but I would venture to say he's is on the chonkier side in terms of substance and bone in comparison (though, that could be that whole "hunter fit" thing creating that illusion lol).  I'm very excited to see what comes of this cross, provided I am able to confirm Vida in foal.  This year will be my first time attempting my own Artificial Insemination (I already do my own ultrasounding, etc) so it's going to really test my skills.

Prototype

As if that wasn't already enough, I have also made another decision regarding my future breeding plans.  For the past two years, I have waffled on the idea of breeding Sierra but always put it off for various reasons.  I'm very good at focusing on the 'bad', and as a result I often told her she didn't deserve to reproduce because of our occasional frustrations under saddle. Every under saddle issue Sierra has is anxiety-related due to poor training in her past and it's taking a long time to build it back up (especially because I accidentally subjected her to more poor training recently, just as we were making headway).  When I had her in in regular work, she was an absolute pleasure to ride and to this day is one of the most rewarding horses I have had the pleasure to work with because she so badly wants to do the right thing.  She's given me some trouble as of late at shows and once in the field at home, all of which were related to anxiety that occasionally pops its head up.  When I strip away that conditioned response and look at what are important traits to me in a broodmare, I found myself considering the fact that I can tick off those proverbial boxes with just as much, if not more, confidence than I can with Vida.  I always loved her type and when I bought her, I was careful to evaluate her conformation with the intention of using her as a broodmare in the future.  Her trainability and brain (when in a familiar setting) are outstanding, and she has a very sweet, loving personality.  She's changed the opinion on many die-hard mare-haters, and is generally very gentle and laid back.  On the ground, she's easily the easiest, safest horse on my farm (though Vida is great, she can occasionally get wound-up in hand if she decides she's feeling sassy).  Movement wise, she's a moderately good move (especially for a TB), and subjectively speaking, her Canter is her worst gait.  With her previous Eventing experience, she has a little bit of a show record (Vida does not due to her career-ending injury), and it goes without saying - she has stood up well to work in ways that Vida did not.  

Sierra

Her issues that I often complain about (because I like to focus on the negative with my riding horses) make up about 2% of her persona. They only occur occasionally under saddle, and in my opinion, are entirely conditioned responses.  After much (literally years of) thought, I concluded that during those invaluable moments when foals learn crucial life skills from their mothers, Sierra is a rock-solid gem. Sierras occasional issues are not a cause for concern for me in terms of breeding, as they all appear under saddle in less-than-familiar circumstances (at shows, etc) and it's hard to fault her for them when you know the history nor can you confirm or deny they are at all hereditary.  At one point, she was a good show pone, but it evidently takes a lot of time in the saddle and a calm, confident pilot, and I'm subject to show anxiety myself.  Truthfully, I have thought long and hard about this while confiding in my mentors (IE experienced breeders with no emotional ties), and when I clear the concerns of her anxiety from my brain, I like the prospect of breeding her.  After years of agonizing consideration I booked her in with Parcival.  I chose to use Parcival because I feel he stamps the conformation areas I wanted to improve on Sierra,  I'm familiar with his foals so far, they've sold well, and his owner is exceptional to work with. As mentioned, I have always wanted a Parcival foal for my self - even before I had dreams of breeding and therefore If I can swing it, I would like to keep the foal for myself though I will probably advertise it in the beginning regardless.  No matter if I get the pleasure of retaining the foal or not, I always feel that considering marketability is crucial when breeding, as you genuinely don't know what life may throw at you to force your hand.  Naturally, this is all based on assumption at this point because she's not confirmed in foal and I don't know if I will use the breeding this year (it's good for 3 years), so standby for that update but I am rather excited about finally reaching a decision. I still have every intention of her being my riding horse, so she will not be transitioning into my breeding program full time - at least not any time soon.

Sierra - I have no good conformation shots of her I guess - her front legs are not wonky despite looking like it in this photo lol


Even though I don't have any personal foals coming this year (waaahh), I do all the repro work for my In Laws Thoroughbred Breeding operation, so will be sure to provide cute foal pictures whenever possible!  I'm hoping Vida will cooperate and I can have her confirmed in foal by mid June at the latest.  So far she's 2 for 2 for foaling early on me (around 325 days) and I typically like my foals in late April or into May due to local weather concerns.  On the flip side, there's always the risk of waiting and having seasonal struggles with ovulation occur, or mares just not settling and before you know it it's mid August so there's a catch 22.  Either way, it still gives me plenty of time to decide if I want to breed Sierra this year or not, and hopefully I'll have a smooth sailing adventure through this breeding season for both my mare(s) and those that I manage!

The following images were from an event 2 weeks before I bought her where she finished 2nd.







So here's to some lovely foals on the horizon if everything goes well!








Comments

  1. Exciting!!!! Breeding and foaling season has quickly become my favourite, now that I've dipped my toe into those waters. I love hearing about your thought process on it, so please keep sharing if you can! And I hope your AI goes well - how cool to be able to do it all yourself! My friend and I hoping to breed 2 mares this spring and have an awesome local guy that does the work for us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; Covid Edition

 While we all live in different towns, have different goals and different lives - but one thing that we all have in common is what a wild and wonky year 2020 was.  The reality is, it's all affected us in one way or another, and with 2020 coming to an end it's time to reflect and look hopeful towards an improved 2021. What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: Hands down, the birth of my daughter .  After 4 years of fertility struggles, I'm beyond grateful and though some days feel like an eternity of struggle, confusion and pain, my heart has never been more full. Horsey: It's hard to choose. Despite hardly riding, I've had a lot of wonderful horsey-filled memories this year.  From the birth of Phascinating BRR , my second homebred to date, to the few rides I got to enjoy and making a major investment in my breeding business, there's been lots to be thankful for. What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: It's

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything