Skip to main content

Junky Feet & Fungal Infections | TGIF

 It appears our blissfully beautiful stretch of unseasonably warm weather has finally come to an end, and I'm already grieving for my lack of exercise and fresh air that I've been thoroughly enjoying as of late.  I ordered a vinyl cover for the stroller hoping I can bundle Eowynn and seal some heat in so we can at least walk our short loop on the semi-decent days, but the shipping is estimating to take another 2 weeks. Regardless, I'm sure it will be well used and for $9.99, it seemed like a sound investment to maintain some semblance of sanity.

Sierra started on Farriers Choice hoof supplements on Thursday, which has resulted in catching her each day for a little TLC.  Unfortunately it's not economical to feed the entire herd, but thanks to a reader I am going to purchase Biotin from Mad Barn as it's far easier on the pocket book.  She seems to enjoy getting the goods while the rest of the herd watches on with jealousy.  I don't love the pellets because it's not cheap and she inevitably drops some, but it's a good start to get us through until I order from Mad Barn in a few weeks.  The tub of Farriers Choice will likely last 4-6 weeks, so it buys me some time at least.  Her hoof seems to be cracking out even worse but hopefully I caught it just in time and the additional nutrients will help.  In my experience it typically takes 2-3 months to see genuine results in feet, but time will tell I suppose!




Upon returning from our walk yesterday, I noticed a bare patch on Kings chest, which upon closer inspection, had a minor cut across it as well.  I assumed he rubbed it on something, but I grew concerned and went into the pasture to check him for Lice.  I inspected him thoroughly but found no evidence, and as he turned broadside I noticed he also had a small bald patch on his flank. Upon further inspection, he also had a bald spot on the opposite flank.  In my 20 years of horse ownership, I have never dealt with Ringworm. I've honestly never even seen it in person, but it presented all the tell-tale signs so I decided to treat it as such until it proved otherwise.



As a result, King is now isolated against his wishes  and we are treating his spots and surrounding hair with anti fungal products, hoping we caught it in time. Our quiet, steady ol' boy had an absolute melt down over Eowynn in a stroller while I was trying to wash them today, so that was a fun time but I managed to get it done.  I know for a fact the patches weren't there on Tuesday, and while I didn't notice it Wednesday I can't say for certain it wasn't there.  Unfortunately he's extremely filthy (and has been since I brought him home in late October) so I suppose it's not entirely surprising as he has horrible dandruff that I suspect is related to not being properly rinsed when he was last bathed.  Sadly, with the arena in town now closed I have absolutely no options in the way of bathing, so all I can do is try and clear this up and brush the crap out of him.

I thoroughly inspected the other horses and so far have not noticed anything on them.  Sierra has an area of missing hair, but it's irregular in shape and doesn't have that infamous 'scaly' attribute, so it's very likely it's from an old bite that I didn't notice, but I am keeping an eye on it and applying some antifungal products to the area as well.

TGIF, amirite?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; Covid Edition

 While we all live in different towns, have different goals and different lives - but one thing that we all have in common is what a wild and wonky year 2020 was.  The reality is, it's all affected us in one way or another, and with 2020 coming to an end it's time to reflect and look hopeful towards an improved 2021. What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: Hands down, the birth of my daughter .  After 4 years of fertility struggles, I'm beyond grateful and though some days feel like an eternity of struggle, confusion and pain, my heart has never been more full. Horsey: It's hard to choose. Despite hardly riding, I've had a lot of wonderful horsey-filled memories this year.  From the birth of Phascinating BRR , my second homebred to date, to the few rides I got to enjoy and making a major investment in my breeding business, there's been lots to be thankful for. What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: It's

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything