Skip to main content

Janine Little Clinic

Last weekend I had the privileged of heading to the city and auditing the Janine Little Dressage Clinic for a few hours.  I had desperately wanted to ride in this clinic, but between the financial strain encompassing my life plus having just got back from a nearly 3 week Vacation, I didn't feel it was right or fair to go and expect it of Sierra.. Plus, I didn't want to waste Janine's time or embarrass myself in front of others.

Image may contain: horse and text
I hung around and watched 2.5 lessons and took a few notes, some of which have already come into play in my riding this past week.  My first impression of Janine was she's tiny!  She can't be more than 5'5, but she has a very even-tempered and relaxing voice and way of teaching.  I noticed a common trend in all the lesson I watched; seeking holes in the training.

Of the 2.5 lessons I watched, all the horses and riders were quite different. I arrived half way through one lesson of a middle aged intermediate woman aboard her relatively plain but otherwise kind and sweet tempered WB type (not sure?) mare.  They were working on gaining access to her back/hind end in the canter.  Some of the notes I took were:


  • The problem is occurring behind the saddle, so why bother fussing with her face? Let her head go where ever it wants right now, you can't connect a horse correctly until you have access to the hind end and a supple back.
  • Tension breeds tension.
  • Rotate your lower back at all times to remain on the floor of your seat.  Don't get stiff in transitions.
  • Don't "Sit and Push", that's an old phrase and outdated.  Always thing "Swing and Follow".
Following that lesson, a beautiful woman and a lovely plain chestnut mare entered the ring.  They looked wonderful together, and Janine quickly got to work at finding holes in the training through difficult exercises such as Cantering 1/4 lines in a shoulder in & travere feeling at the same time (essentially curved around the inside leg while still travelling straight), and the beginning of half-steps as the mare tends to get 'out behind' and slow in the hind leg.  My abs were sore just watching.  Some notes I took were:
  • In Downwards transitions, lengthen your leg to open your hip angle
  • It's better to give often and quickly, than to give poorly.
  • Lazy Horses need to start half-steps sooner to develop proper engagement, balance and response behind.
  • Get her hips down and her neck out. Always.
  • Don't get mad when it gets messy; things have to get messy to get better.
  • Be aware enough to know when your horse is cheating, or when they need help and support.
  • After doing something hard, always go to something easy and establish relaxation.  Relaxation is key in all aspects; it will be lost sometimes but we must always regain it.
  • When teaching a horse to stretch, think of riding with your hands wide like side reins on the lunge, and push forward.  Once you establish a weighted connection, lift your hands and follow.
  • Every horse has a tendency and they will always revert back to it when things get tough; determine what your horse's tendency (or tendencies) are.
And finally, the last lesson I watched was a combination who recently had some time off. The horse seemed boarder-line feral when she walked into the arena but it was *really* lovely when Janine got to work on them.  The lesson was quite basic but I did jot down a few comments that resonated.

  • Always train the opposite of what we have in regards to natural movement. If your horse has a long stride, work to shorten it and 'load' the hind end. If your horse has a short stride, aim to lengthen it.  If your horse moves with tension, aim to cover more ground and build relaxation.
  • Always strive for straight, long and bigger in ever single movement.
  • Don't drive; engage.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything

Farewell, Sierra | How & Why I Chose My Trainer

I've mentioned several times now that Sierra is going down to my trainers, Carol Ann's (often referred to as "CA" because #lazy), and I thought it fitting to make a post solely related to my decision and the process I took to find her.  I have never used a trainer before and it's been several years since I had the pleasure of having a regular coach (IE: a clinician who came here 6x a year), and it wasn't a decision I made lightly.  Perhaps I feel the need to explain myself and work through my decision to clarify things in my own brain, or perhaps I thought my situation may help others who find their way to my blog. Either way, as I write this future-scheduled post, Sierra is currently on the road and I am a total nervous-nelly about the entire situation. Trying on Liners to prepare to pack Late last summer, I was driving 'round and 'round dragging a square baler for hours on end while I contemplated all life's biggest questions.  As I f