Skip to main content

Kai's 2385th Injury Update

It's been a few days since my bubble-wrap child decided to WWE the ground and slide under the fence, and things are proceeding as expected.

Day 1, a few hours after
My hope was to pick up some liquid bandaid the following day and try and 'glue' the skin back together to promote faster healing, but by the next morning the 'flap' was no longer present and it was apparent that wasn't going to happen.  I've been using a slew of products and it is helping.  She has quite a lot of swelling/pooling, but I think it's bound to happen.  Her Left Front, that she had scraped up, was slightly swollen the following day, and really swollen the next.. but by the third day, the swelling was completely gone.

Day 2, localized Swelling and extremely sore/sensitive to touch
The day after the injury I had to work out of town, so my hubby and friend doctored her up for me.  I left him poor directions, but he's a horsey-guy and I knew he would make the right choices.  He cold hosed her and put Zinc on the wound, as well as Swat.  She wasn't cooperative, which is understandable, but he did the best he could.  I will say though, I hate Zinc - but hey, I won't complain for him helping me out without being asked.

I have been using my *favorite* liniment (Draw It Out) as well as Bag Balm and Swat, and for the most part it's been working pretty well.  She's still quite sore, so I haven't been able to really 'scrub' it, so there is some Zinc ointment residue but it will have to stay there for a while.  I have also used some Blue Kote occasionally, but not daily as I have heard conflicting evidence regarding it.

Day 3, "dirty", Blue Kote was applied the evening before
I have also been massaging her back and hind end with Blue Lotion Liniment as i'm sure she is sore, and it has been helping.. Initially I used my Sore No More Arnica Clay, but it's quite firm and I have to push too hard in order to spread it - and given how sore she is, she's not willing to tolerate that.

My routine with her has been Cold Hosing her, then taking her into the barn to dress the wound.  Today, I washed it with Betadine to try and remove some of the Zinc residue, but it was the first time I have used it.  I then take her into the barn and apply Bag Balm, followed by Draw It Out.  I use the liquid concentrate DIO and mix it with 50% water, and keep it stored in a handy spray bottle.  One of the major benefits to this product for me, is that it isn't alcohol based so it can be sprayed directly onto a wound without any problems.  If that isn't enough to convince you, a friends boyfriend DRANK some because he thought it was Water. He didn't even notice until she told him, (and he's perfectly fine, for the record).. and following the DIO, I apply Swat around the wound, then Blue Lotion Liniment along her back, loin, and down through her flank and gaskin.  I also spray her Right Front with the DIO, but for the past 24 hours her leg has remained cold and tight.

Day 3, roughly 6 hours after cold hosing, dressing & bute.  Water Droplets are from re-applying DIO Liniment

Regardless, she is still in good spirits and is progressively improving.  She is less sore on it now, and my goal is to continue to try and stay on top of the swelling and keep it minimized through Liniment, Cold Hosing and bute, and build a bubble-wrap suit for her.  I'm hoping by tomorrow she will allow me to give it a really good wash/light scrub to remove the ointment residue and any dead tissue, but we will see!

Oh, and... she lost her other shoe.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; Covid Edition

 While we all live in different towns, have different goals and different lives - but one thing that we all have in common is what a wild and wonky year 2020 was.  The reality is, it's all affected us in one way or another, and with 2020 coming to an end it's time to reflect and look hopeful towards an improved 2021. What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: Hands down, the birth of my daughter .  After 4 years of fertility struggles, I'm beyond grateful and though some days feel like an eternity of struggle, confusion and pain, my heart has never been more full. Horsey: It's hard to choose. Despite hardly riding, I've had a lot of wonderful horsey-filled memories this year.  From the birth of Phascinating BRR , my second homebred to date, to the few rides I got to enjoy and making a major investment in my breeding business, there's been lots to be thankful for. What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: It's

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything