Skip to main content

AES Blog Hop: Supplements

Megan posted an interesting Blog Hop recently, and it revolves around something that has always been really interesting to me; Equine Nutrition. I'm always curious to know what people feed their horses, and why.  As someone who seems to have tried nearly every feed available in my location(s), I have settled on some products I absolutely love, steered clear of ones I absolutely dislike, and continue to try new things because, like Megan, I seem to enjoy throwing money into the manure pile!

So, Kidd and Nikki get fat on air (seriously, I wish I was kidding) so I will focus on Kai, my Bubble Wrap Problem Child.

On top of being essentially free-fed Grass Mix hay, she also gets extruded feed morning and night.  This is a relatively 'new' feeding regime and I will likely continue to tweak it if i'm not satisfied after 3 months, but for now this is where we're at..

Buckeye Grow N' Win


For the past 3 months I had Kai on 3.5 lbs of Grow N Win daily but I am adding Cadence Ultra as of tomorrow, and as such I am backing her down to 1 lb of Grow N Win.  Either way, I have been satisfied with the product. It's pricey, roughly $55 in my area per bag, but she did gain some weight while on it at 3.5 lbs.  However, our supplier would still like to see 'more results' from it, so we are switching it up.

Buckeye Cadence Ultra


As part of our new regime, we are backing off the Grow N Win and adding Cadence Ultra.  She hasn't started on it yet, so I can't say much at this point.  It is around $40/bag.

Magnesium


Both Kidd and Kai are on Magnesium as it is a mineral very low in our area, and is a mineral that is typically lacking in most horses diets.  Plus, it helps Kidd from getting too 'cresty', and seems to have a bit of a calming effect.  I personally use Pureform as I can buy it semi-locally, and it's really inexpensive, at roughly $12/1 KG, which lasts almost forever.

Canpressco


Canpressco (Camelina Oil) is my go-to oil/fat supplement for any and all horses.  I love the product so much and I can't say enough good about it.  It's made an incredible difference in my horses both inside and out, and I can't imagine not feeding it!  It helps i'm an ambassador, but regular it is around $65/4L.  I haven't noticed extreme weight gain like some have reported, but Kidd is naturally obese and Kai isn't an overly easy keeper, so perhaps they aren't good examples as I have heard some report their horses gained too much weight on the oil.  Though, for comparison, Kidd gets 1/2 Pump and Kai gets 2 Full Pumps daily.

Aloe Vera Juice

I started adding Aloe Vera juice to Kai's diet about 3 months ago.  Now, I have heard some really mixed reviews but so far I have been happy with the product and has found it made her significantly less ulcer-ish.  Many of you may remember going through a phase where she was *incredibly grumpy*, any time someone was near her she would pin her ears and just be a total piss-head in general, but after about 2 weeks of being on Aloe Vera juice it really changed.  I can't say if it's related, but that behavior is gone.  I know there are better options out there, but I buy the one pictured above at Walmart for about $10, and feed about 1/2 Cup per day (shoot me, I just eyeball it *bad horse mom alert*), so it lasts a really long time.

In addition, she also gets Beet Pulp and Chlorella Powder.  I have been considering bringing in some Healthy Horse for both Kidd and Kai, but I am currently house-broke so I can only afford to throw away so much money for a horse who's constantly hurt, and one that I have no time to ride.. Oh, horses!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Analysis & February Goals

We have survived the first month of 2019 and as I expected, we were hit with both Snowmageddon AND Mother-Fcking-Cold-Mageddon.. and we were also hit with "oh my god it's nice, I wanna garden and play with ponies outside" as well as "it is so windy, I think my face literally got stretched off my skull".. We have literally had all 4 seasons in the past 30 days, and while some days were glorious, it also put a damper on my January goals . January Goals: Spend at least 4 Hours in the Saddle I'm going to call this a win. I had some issues with my Equilab app that required Technical Support and some of my rides were lost, so while I currently have about 3.6 Hrs logged for January, I'm thinking I hit 4, or just over. Continue with regular Stretching (on the ground) I definitely put a lot of time into this, and also introduced a new REMT who gave me additional stretches to do.  At our 2nd appointment, she said there was noticeable difference! Sp...

Field Trip No. 003 | HTS II: Working The Steps

On March 30, the local Sport Horse Club that I am the president of, hosted our second Hunter Training Series Show, "HTS II".  Many of you probably recall the first show  ("HTS I"), which was pretty fucking terrible.  I was very torn on going to the second show as my rides since the first show were very sub par and quite disappointing to say the least, but I had determined that if I could clear my head and go into it open minded, I would go for another schooling opportunity.. and I literally left it to the last possible minute to decide. I was feeling overwhelmed when my truck was broken down and the parts arrived late, so until roughly 2:30 PM on Friday afternoon, I had no idea if I was even going to be able to haul Sierra to the arena for the show. I concluded if I couldn't haul her in on Friday and stall overnight I wouldn't take her, as I am far too busy running the show to haul her in the day of.. but alas the parts arrived, my hubby came thru and ...

Field Trip No. 002 | HTS I Show: C'est La Vie

On Friday, March 1st I left work early and headed home to load my horse trailer full of supplies for the Horse Show that we store at my house.  Our first show of the year was scheduled for Saturday, March 2nd and not only was I running it, but I had also planned to ride in it.  It's a 3 Part Hunter Training Series (AKA HTS I), and we had a Walk/Trot Division, and a Hack Division in addition to over fences from Cross Rails to 2'6 with flats & jogs.  I had entered the W/T under saddles but skipped the in-hand because I didn't feel like it was fair to be eligible for the W/T High Point, and I also entered the 3 Hack Classes.  "C" was bringing Hershey as well, and as a fellow show committee member she and I decided to haul Sierra and Hershey into the arena on Friday to stall over night. This show has been on my radar since much earlier this winter, and it was a stretch goal at best, but I knew I wanted to 'go through the motions' of a show to see how ...