Skip to main content

Back On Track

It's been over a year since I was actively riding due to the complications that arose in my pregnancy.  Don't get me wrong - I rode a few times last summer and then in the late fall, but Sierra bucked me off right at the pivotal point of the extreme weather change and therefore only rode sporadically through the winter and truthfully, none of those rides were anything to write home about.  Aside from the excitement of getting bucked off, the rest of my rides over the past year basically consisted of walking around for 5 minutes.  While they lacked any form of requirements from either of us however, they served a purpose of keeping myself sane.

Taking the time off to allow my body to grow a human and then heal from that endeavor was difficult; I've ridden the majority of my life and as a result, my life completely revolved around it so now not only was the only constant for the better part of my life amiss, I suddenly had to learn how to become a mother.  Through all that, I gained a new appreciation for all that riding brings to my life.  It's so incredibly easy to get caught up in chasing goals, ribbons and titles but when your path in life changes, so can your perspective.


Hubby's been riding with me too, so yay!

The weather's been sort-of conducive to riding in a small patch in the hay field (although my arena is pretty much ready now) and Sierra has been an absolute dream.  I am so incredibly out of shape but it's slowly coming back to me and I'm becoming more and more comfortable and confident each ride that passes.  I've only ridden three times so far and while we are both terribly out of shape, it's been so enjoyable and the Queen has been superb.

At this point I feel like I know Sierra inside and out for the most part, and when ever she has time off she gets very crooked.  We both struggle to track right, and her go-to is to drift her hind end to the inside, and buldge her shoulder to the outside. It feels rather strange to ride, but she's relatively easy to correct - it's just... constant.  There's a ton of exercises I can do to help it, but it often feels so repetitive and mundane and it can become rather boring, but it's a catch 22 because it's almost improved with fitness.  Currently, I'm working on my own position and reminding myself to ride forward with confidence.  At this point in the walk and trot I'm asking Sierra to stretch into the contact and we've had some steps of lovely swing.  The canter is a hot mess, which is our weak point in general, so at this point short of correcting her from doing her best llama impression I'm just trying to soften my lower back and pelvis and allowing her to flow forward... lawd, I need work.

Lucky for me, weather pending, we have a clinic at my house in two weeks, and even though we are embarassingly out of shape, I am so excited to get the ball rolling and get back on track and keep enjoying Sierra!


Peep that red boi in the background ... guess who?!



Comments

  1. Yeah for riding! ... but IS THAT KING!!!???!!! Oh WOW! He looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!! He's back to perfect health. Hubby popped on him to make sure he's still suited to kids lol. He was perfect! There's another picture of him coming out on my Wednesday post.

      Delete
  2. So glad you've been able to get so much saddle time lately <3 Sierra (and you!) are looking great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your first rides back have all been positive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; Covid Edition

 While we all live in different towns, have different goals and different lives - but one thing that we all have in common is what a wild and wonky year 2020 was.  The reality is, it's all affected us in one way or another, and with 2020 coming to an end it's time to reflect and look hopeful towards an improved 2021. What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: Hands down, the birth of my daughter .  After 4 years of fertility struggles, I'm beyond grateful and though some days feel like an eternity of struggle, confusion and pain, my heart has never been more full. Horsey: It's hard to choose. Despite hardly riding, I've had a lot of wonderful horsey-filled memories this year.  From the birth of Phascinating BRR , my second homebred to date, to the few rides I got to enjoy and making a major investment in my breeding business, there's been lots to be thankful for. What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: It's