Skip to main content

Out Like a Lion

 2021 has been off to a slow start. I say that with a tone of absolutely zero surprise because when I chose not to utilize an indoor this winter and subsequently give my horses the winter off, I knew the northern Alberta weather would not lend itself to immeasurable joyful hours spent in the saddle. Our winters are long and dark up here in the great white north.  Winter typically begins to flirt with us in October; the air is crisp, cool and each day above zero feels like a blessing. By early November, winter has often teased us several times where we wake to discuss the white dusting across the ground over breakfast and by late November, it is very much Winter.  The very short days begin to feel long in December, but come late January the winter seems almost unbearable; as though it will never end.  The winter blues set in, and all we can do is dream of warmer days and hope they aren't too terribly far away.

I grew up on British Columbia's north coast where the climate is significantly more mild (albeit much more damp), and even after 10 years in Alberta, I haven't grown accustomed to the weather.  I wouldn't say I hate the weather though. In fact, I enjoy winter and don't struggle to find the beauty in it. Even during our two-week long coldsnap where daytime highs barely touched -35C I bundled myself and Eowynn and went for a walk to soak up the sunshine, but even after 10 years of life in the prairies, March 1st always feels like an unmarked suggestion of spring.  At home in March, snowbanks often wane back into the earth as it begins to wake, leaving behind puddles and muck.  We aren't usually quite as lucky here in northern Alberta, but spending over 50% of my life on that weather schedule has not left my heart just yet and I always find myself feeling hopelessly optimistic as March 1st approaches each year.

My birthday is February 28th, and for the past several years I have taken it upon myself for the good of all those in my area, to utilize all the magical powers and pray for spring.  It very rarely (read: never) happens, but this might finally be my year. Clearly who ever grants wishes took pity on me entering the last year of my 20's because our impending forecast looks positively lovely, and may even yield some spring-like weather that is suitable to horsey time.

Regardless of if the forecast comes true this month or not, in 4-6 weeks the daylight will be significantly longer, allowing me to venture outside after Eowynn's in bed.  Currently, it's light until about 6 PM, which is only 1 - 1.5 hours before bedtime, and as the light touches the ground a little longer each evening, I can feel the 'itch' to get riding getting stronger, and stronger.

It will be an interesting year of balance for me, but I'm desperately craving some 'me' time as well as a sense of normalcy that my 'old life' brings.  I absolutely love being a mother, and Eowynn absolutely makes my world go 'round, but I can't wait to do something for me that brings me joy.  The silent conversations in my barn with me and my horse are pure magic and just like the little pitter-patter of tiny hands and feet on my floor, and the contagious belly-laughter that wafts through my halls, I can't wait to enjoy the other avenue of my life that makes me feel completely at home and happy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell, Sierra | How & Why I Chose My Trainer

I've mentioned several times now that Sierra is going down to my trainers, Carol Ann's (often referred to as "CA" because #lazy), and I thought it fitting to make a post solely related to my decision and the process I took to find her.  I have never used a trainer before and it's been several years since I had the pleasure of having a regular coach (IE: a clinician who came here 6x a year), and it wasn't a decision I made lightly.  Perhaps I feel the need to explain myself and work through my decision to clarify things in my own brain, or perhaps I thought my situation may help others who find their way to my blog. Either way, as I write this future-scheduled post, Sierra is currently on the road and I am a total nervous-nelly about the entire situation. Trying on Liners to prepare to pack Late last summer, I was driving 'round and 'round dragging a square baler for hours on end while I contemplated all life's biggest questions.  As I f

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything

10 Needles

On February 6, 2018 the day had come.  Kidd was booked in to see the travelling Vet who comes to our area to follow up on our appointment last month.  In our last appointment , we isolated Kidd’s issues and confirmed he is not 100% in the hind end; a concern I had lurking deep in my muddled brain for an unfortunate number of years.  I had been convinced by peers and coaches alike that Kidd was fine - I just couldn’t ride him well enough - however my growing suspicions convinced me to seek a professional opinion.  My concerns were quickly confirmed when he saw the travelling High Performance Equine vet in early January.  Upon failing the flexions in both hind limbs, we put Kidd on Previcox while I tracked his reaction and wrapped my head around the possibility of needing to have Joint Injections done. Scrub-a-dub-dub... Note how 'different' Kidd's front feet are Unfortunately shortly after seeing the Vet in January, Kidd su ccumbed to the viral cold wreaking