Skip to main content

Throwback Thursday: A Queen in the Making

 This felt warranted, and it served as a good purpose to remind myself why I love this stupid horse, even if others see her as a dirty and untrustworthy mare because in 3.5 years she got me off.  I'm no stranger to people who don't understand my unexplainable love for Sierra, and I have made peace with the fact that she is very few peoples cup o' tea. That being said, it still occasionally takes me aback when people question my relationship with her, or my sanity if nothing else, but we truly have a remarkable bond where the language between us is nearly non-existent and more often than not, it's like we can read each others minds.  Like an old married couple better off together than apart, we occasionally disagree or get blindsided and hurt by the other.  I intend that entirely without the 'woo'; this isn't a book or a movie and I understand she's an animal and I'm a human but more often than not we are very in-tune with one another.  

Did she buck me off? Sure did and as I said when it happened - I deserved it.  Would it be permissible a second time? Absolutely not. Do I still trust her? Entirely.  Do people get bucked off every day and carry on up the jungle? Absolutely.  

I don't believe in a dictatorship - they very rarely go over well with a TB in anyway - and I take her emotions into consideration with everything I do (within reason).  In the past, I've been accused of being too humble for my own good and perhaps that's usually true but in this case, I can honestly say I don't know of many people who can ride her as well as I can.  Besides the fact that, believe it or not I am an accomplished rider and trainer, but more than that, I 'get' her.  In Sierra's case, it's probably a good thing because I don't how how many people would grow to appreciate, nor tolerate, her quirks that are fueled by previously sh!tty training and care, plus natural tendencies to just be a Thoroughbred through n' through. Lucky for her, Thoroughbreds run in my blood, and I live and breath them with a burning passion.

Truth be told, although she's one hot mama under saddle at times, she is the most reliable and trustworthy horse on my farm, * especially * on the ground.  That sounds rather funny when you consider the fact that I have two kid-safe schoolmasters here; but both are half feral at this point and absolute dingus' on the ground when they aren't in work. Sierra's probably the only horse on my farm that I currently trust around Eowynn, and at the end of the day I don't need to justify my decisions that affect myself, my family or relationship with her but alas, here we are and it seems I needed just as much reminding myself.

In no particular order, enjoy some throwbacks for Throwback Thursday that I surfed through during nap time, enjoying the gentle reminder of what a special soul she is, and how much joy she brings me amidst the stress.  This was actually sort of fun to put together and look back on how far we've come.  We may not be anywhere near where I want to be, but we'll get back there - I have no doubt!








































(When I first got her)










Comments

  1. beautiful pics! the heart knows what the heart wants ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; Covid Edition

 While we all live in different towns, have different goals and different lives - but one thing that we all have in common is what a wild and wonky year 2020 was.  The reality is, it's all affected us in one way or another, and with 2020 coming to an end it's time to reflect and look hopeful towards an improved 2021. What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: Hands down, the birth of my daughter .  After 4 years of fertility struggles, I'm beyond grateful and though some days feel like an eternity of struggle, confusion and pain, my heart has never been more full. Horsey: It's hard to choose. Despite hardly riding, I've had a lot of wonderful horsey-filled memories this year.  From the birth of Phascinating BRR , my second homebred to date, to the few rides I got to enjoy and making a major investment in my breeding business, there's been lots to be thankful for. What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: It's