Skip to main content

March Analysis + April Goals

All things considered, I feel like March was a fairly successful month!  We had some decent wins, some significant losses, a few harsh realities and we learned a heck of a lot.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

March Goals,
  • Spend at least 30 Minutes w/o Stirrups
    I hit this!
  • Get out of the Arena when Weather permits 
    We went on several short hacks until the moisture softened Sierras feet too much and she became too sensitive on the gravel.
  • Spend at least 4 Hours in the Saddle
    I got a new phone and Equilab isn't compatible on my new one, but using the stop watch I still timed myself, and despite giving Sierra a week off plus only riding an average of 2-3x per week, I still managed to nail this.  Between schooling rides and two shows, we were closer to 8 hours.
  • Continue to improve my aids and positioning while tracking right
    I'm feeling significantly stronger and more capable when tracking to the right.. Between being more aware, and doing Pilates, I think it's really paying off but will likely always be a struggle.
  • Continue to develop the R+R+C
    The first horse show on March 2nd really threw a wrench into this; something that I thought was coming along very well.  We had to go back a little bit and work on some pot holes in the training, and re-establish the Relaxation.  It's a work in progress, but it's coming... I think this might be an ongoing thing that comes and goes, but i'm calling it a win as we found it, lost it, and found it again.
  • Continue to develop a correct stretch in W & T
    I didn't spend a ton of time in this early in the month, but I've recently discovered giving Sierra a solid 10-15 min of walking on a semi loose rein is the key to developing her relaxation for that ride, so the last portion of March, we spent a lot of time working here both in the walk and trot.
  • Ride in HTS I (March 2) 
    Did it! Almost died, but we did the thing!
  • Ride in HTS II (March 30)
    Did it!  Recap to come...

  • Go to all the pre-booked Pilates Classes (6 in total)
    Boo I skipped two due to my Acid Reflux being god-damn awful.
---------------------------------------------------------
  • Pentosan Injection  
    Administered March 21
  • Vet Appointment
    Teeth & Annual Vaccinations, March 19
  • Farrier Appointment
  • Trim, March 11


April Goals,

I'm being, once again, conservative for April because I'm going to take Sierra home either on the 2nd or 3rd weekend of the month and unless my arena is totally dry I foresee a lot of days off.  I hope to get out for lots of road hacks once she's home but evidently I can't do much until Sierra is shod on April 27th, so that doesn't help me much for April unless Sierra's feet harden up.. I want the rest of this spring to be about having fun after 5 months of straight ring work, so my goals reflect that. In addition, I anticipate Vida foaling by the end of April, so that will consume a lot of my time and energy I'm sure.

  • Spend at least 4 Hrs in the Saddle
  • Spend at least 30 Min w/o Stirrups
  • Get out of the arena at least 3 times
  • Continue to develop the R + R + C in W & T
  • Continue to correct the unevenness in the reins
  • Do more ground work yielding front + hind quarters
  • Do at least 1 fun and 'out of the ordinary' thing
---------------------------------------------------------
  • Omeprazole Treatment
    To start once I bring Sierra home
  • Farrier Appointment
    Shoes, April 27
  • REMT Appointment #4
    April 6
  • Saddle Fit #2
    TBA
Image may contain: horse, sky, cloud and outdoor

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Hop: 2020 Summary; Covid Edition

 While we all live in different towns, have different goals and different lives - but one thing that we all have in common is what a wild and wonky year 2020 was.  The reality is, it's all affected us in one way or another, and with 2020 coming to an end it's time to reflect and look hopeful towards an improved 2021. What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: Hands down, the birth of my daughter .  After 4 years of fertility struggles, I'm beyond grateful and though some days feel like an eternity of struggle, confusion and pain, my heart has never been more full. Horsey: It's hard to choose. Despite hardly riding, I've had a lot of wonderful horsey-filled memories this year.  From the birth of Phascinating BRR , my second homebred to date, to the few rides I got to enjoy and making a major investment in my breeding business, there's been lots to be thankful for. What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020? Personal: It's

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything