Skip to main content

A Week on Cloud 9

As I succumbed to the overwhelming feelings of success and pure joy seizing my life, I found myself lost in a trance of complete tranquility last week.  Kidd is back in my life after a near-miss of re-homing him, and I couldn't be happier.  He's at the barn on inside board, looking fabulous and seems genuinely stoked to be back to work.  Last week I felt as though I floated on a cloud comprised of sheer bliss; a true high I couldn't even begin to describe.  

Tuesday was my first ride back on Kidd and while it certainly wasn't worthy of ribbons, I think I smiled the entire ride.  It was painfully apparent how out of shape I have become, but I didn't care and honestly I don't think he did either.  I left the barn eager for more.

Wednesday I decided to skip the barn and just go home, because I was feeling terribly ill and couldn't imagine bouncing around would make myself feel any better. Not to mention, i'm sure I wouldn't do Kidd any justice riding in that sort of state.  Much to my surprise, I spent the better part of the evening wishing I was at the barn, riding my horse.  I caught myself in disbelief because I truly could not recall the last time I felt that genuine longing; more recently it has been replaced with relief and guilt.  I allowed myself to carry that remorse over, and fuel me through my Thursday until I could get to the barn.

As work came to an end on Thursday, I hopped in my car and drove the whopping quarter mile to the Pavilion.  I’m blessed enough to get off work at 3:30 every day, and the Pavilion where Kidd is boarded is on the same Campus where I work, so it’s easy and quick to get there before the crowds start piling through the doors.  Thursday was my second ride back on Kidd and once again, I was overwhelmed with excitement.  Given how out of shape Kidd is, I kept things simple once again, focusing mostly on straightness and suppleness.  Kidd was willing, happy and responsive.  Out of curiosity and hunger, as I trotted around I switched to sitting and once I was certain he was still loose through the back, I closed my legs on his sides, engaged my core stronger, half halted and much to my surprise, Kidd very willingly rocked back into a piss-poor but happy collected trot.  After a few strides I could feel the struggle, and allowed him to trot out again.  I hadn’t cantered yet, but I was so pleased I chose to just get off at that point.  Kidd has become sour in the past, so I am really trying to keep him happy, comfortable and eager.  In achieving that, I feel that I will also feel happy, motivated and eager for more. 


Friday was interesting. History repeated itself as usual – work – barn, however today Kidd was different.  Today he was hot, sensitive and anxious.  Regardless, I tacked up, gave him a short lunge session and swung a leg over.  Our ride started off fairly well, but after an excited, galloping, snorting and boarder line out of control horse entered the arena and her owner sent her out on the lunge, Kidd was keeping a very watchful eye on the situation.  As the anxiety built, Kidd took note of her using her lunge whip, and by then I had fully lost Kidds attention, so to keep our streak of happiness going, I looked for a good note to end on and got off.  For those who don’t know, Kidd is ‘funny’ about whips which is why you see that I rarely ride with one. Additionally, I very rarely lunge with one and have him trained well to respond to my voice cues.. In fact, if he’s being lazy all I have to do is bend down as though I’m picking up a whip off the ground and suddenly *poof* - forward!


Saturday I hadn’t planned to ride, but with my saddle fitting booked for the next day I decided to go for it.  My plan was to check a few things off my to-do list on Saturday and I had to haul C’s horse into the arena to be boarded so we arrived at the arena around noon, and I tacked up and hopped on.  I decided not to lunge him first as I don’t necessarily agree with lunging to ‘tire them out’ before getting on, but I do like the idea of allowing them to warm up on their own without additional weight and influence on their back. Much to my surprise, I had the best ride I have had to date.  Kidd was fantastic and I couldn’t have been happier.  Once again, it wasn’t a record setting ride by any means and we didn’t do anything exciting, but he felt fantastic and genuinely happy.  Though, more than anything, I was so glad to be on him and loving every minute of it.


Sunday was our saddle fitting appointment and things didn’t go quite as planned, but I will save that for my next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything

Farewell, Sierra | How & Why I Chose My Trainer

I've mentioned several times now that Sierra is going down to my trainers, Carol Ann's (often referred to as "CA" because #lazy), and I thought it fitting to make a post solely related to my decision and the process I took to find her.  I have never used a trainer before and it's been several years since I had the pleasure of having a regular coach (IE: a clinician who came here 6x a year), and it wasn't a decision I made lightly.  Perhaps I feel the need to explain myself and work through my decision to clarify things in my own brain, or perhaps I thought my situation may help others who find their way to my blog. Either way, as I write this future-scheduled post, Sierra is currently on the road and I am a total nervous-nelly about the entire situation. Trying on Liners to prepare to pack Late last summer, I was driving 'round and 'round dragging a square baler for hours on end while I contemplated all life's biggest questions.  As I f