Skip to main content

From Ground Zero to Cloud 9

As riders, we know first hand the roller coaster ride of emotions we experience on a regular basis.  We learn the meaning of sacrifice, selflessness, and appreciation... and if nothing else, we learn how quickly we can be humbled.  Without a solid wall of support to lean on when times get tough and we're down on our luck, it can feel like an incredibly lonely podium of success, or pool of failure.  Often the small successes may feel like you've moved mountains, and yet to others they seem easily overlooked, and it's fair to assume everyone is busy in their own lives and weren't put on this earth to reward me for my efforts, but we can all get lost in feeling sorry for ourselves at one time or another.



Perhaps i'm being ridiculous, but I feel a little like that, because I had a *fantastic* ride and Kidd and I really redeemed ourselves after our sh!tty ride yesterday... but in hind sight, I realize the fact that we cantered to the right without any issues isn't exciting to most people.





 I decided to lunge Kidd today before getting on to give him a good warm up before getting on.  My goal was to just put a light ride on him - more for myself than anything.  Typically I can't ride on Wednesdays because of Golf, but it got rained out. Luckily, at the farm the weather is totally different, so I was able to sneak in a ride.


I lunged Kidd for about 20 minutes before getting on.  I had a lovely and totally uneventful ride, and I am absolutely *over the moon*. I only rode him for about 15 minutes and I kept things really simple, but we didn't need to have 1 discussion; he was totally chill and incredibly steady.  I've been choosing not to get too picky with him at this point in time because he's still quite unfit, but we cantered on the right lead 3 times, each time without any issue and he was really coming through his back and it was such a relief to feel that again.


Sometimes you need to believe in yourself, and trust yourself that you're on the right track.  Sometimes, you need to be happy for yourself and be satisfied with yourself regardless.  It's natural for most people to want to share their happiness, but first and foremost you need to be happy for yourself... and right now, i'm on cloud 9!

As Kidd gets fitter I will work more on lifting his shoulders and  encouraging him to push his nose forward into the contact as he often ends up behind the vertical, especially in trot.  As well, straightness is not a thing; primarily on the right rein.  

For those who aren't aware, Kidd has an issue with his right stifle and it's been attributed to causing the issues on the right rein.  The mobile vets will be here in early September and Kidd will be getting worked over, and likely injected.  In the mean time, we have been advised to just continue to strengthen it and do regular stretches... so in the mean time, we will continue to work towards this!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell, Sierra | How & Why I Chose My Trainer

I've mentioned several times now that Sierra is going down to my trainers, Carol Ann's (often referred to as "CA" because #lazy), and I thought it fitting to make a post solely related to my decision and the process I took to find her.  I have never used a trainer before and it's been several years since I had the pleasure of having a regular coach (IE: a clinician who came here 6x a year), and it wasn't a decision I made lightly.  Perhaps I feel the need to explain myself and work through my decision to clarify things in my own brain, or perhaps I thought my situation may help others who find their way to my blog. Either way, as I write this future-scheduled post, Sierra is currently on the road and I am a total nervous-nelly about the entire situation. Trying on Liners to prepare to pack Late last summer, I was driving 'round and 'round dragging a square baler for hours on end while I contemplated all life's biggest questions.  As I f

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything