Skip to main content

Just When You Think You've Got It All Figured Out

Sometimes things don't fall into place as you once expected them to. Perhaps as we carefully plan each step we take to get the end result we thought we needed, we uncover something else.  Something that may have once seemed out of the question; ludicrous or otherwise ridiculously uncharacteristic.  Sometimes, these things are exactly what we need in order to step out of our comfort zone.

Comfort zones are funny things.  Often, the barriers of which keep us contained are not determined by ourselves, but rather those around us.  While we all like to dance to the beat of our own drum, more often than not we are influenced by those around us.  Those that we like or love, and those we dislike who may make us feel as though we are forced to prove something to them.  This can become an incredibly viscous circle of frustration and feeling irrevocably alienated  among our equestrian clicks.  As a result, the barriers of our comfort zones are set.  It's not until we cast aside our own feelings of needing the approval of others, can we truly find what we need in life.

A few days ago, I was in the yard rummaging about as per usual. I saw all 3 of my horses.  First, Kidd. I was overcome with feelings of expectation, deadlines, percentages, scores and ribbons.  This isn't an unusual feeling, so I gave him a scratch, rubbed his adorable mohawk and carried on my way.  Then, I saw Nikki. I felt completely at peace. I was overcome by total relaxation and comfort.  Last, I saw Kai and suddenly I felt the same emotions I felt when I saw Kidd.  This wasn't unusual as I see all 3 of my horses on a regular basis. These emotions and feelings are not unique or strange, in fact they're quite habitual.  So much so, that it really never registered in my brain previously.

Once this dawned on me, my mind was completely consumed with a variety of thoughts.  As these thoughts whirled around in my head, I was taken aback by the realizations that came about.  I'm surprised to say, a large portion of my 2017 goals list is out the window, because I am not showing this year.  Well, ok before you get back on your chair, let me clarify.  I can't say for certain that I am not showing this year as it's currently January and perhaps in 6 months I will feel refreshed and rejuvenated enough to chase those goals, but for now, my focus has shifted.

I don't want to look at 2/3rds of my horses and feel angst because not only can they feel it in me, but it takes the enjoyment out of it.  I enjoy competing, but at what cost?  Where do you draw the line between pleasure and pressure?  There is so much more to life with sport horses than scores, placings and ribbons and while I know I have done a post similarly in the past, this is ringing so true to me at this stage in time.

Now at this point, I fully understand if I seem completely wishy-washy and lost in life, but bare with me because we are going to have so much fun this year.  I still intend to ride and train to continue advancing through the Dressage levels, but I will no longer succumb to the pressures of deadlines.  If Kai doesn't go back to the race track this spring I will bring her along as well like I had initially planned.  If there's question marks above your head regarding Kai going back to the race track, i'll be saving that for another post when a decision is actually made.

Sorry, no photo's for this post!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Analysis & February Goals

We have survived the first month of 2019 and as I expected, we were hit with both Snowmageddon AND Mother-Fcking-Cold-Mageddon.. and we were also hit with "oh my god it's nice, I wanna garden and play with ponies outside" as well as "it is so windy, I think my face literally got stretched off my skull".. We have literally had all 4 seasons in the past 30 days, and while some days were glorious, it also put a damper on my January goals . January Goals: Spend at least 4 Hours in the Saddle I'm going to call this a win. I had some issues with my Equilab app that required Technical Support and some of my rides were lost, so while I currently have about 3.6 Hrs logged for January, I'm thinking I hit 4, or just over. Continue with regular Stretching (on the ground) I definitely put a lot of time into this, and also introduced a new REMT who gave me additional stretches to do.  At our 2nd appointment, she said there was noticeable difference! Sp...

Field Trip No. 003 | HTS II: Working The Steps

On March 30, the local Sport Horse Club that I am the president of, hosted our second Hunter Training Series Show, "HTS II".  Many of you probably recall the first show  ("HTS I"), which was pretty fucking terrible.  I was very torn on going to the second show as my rides since the first show were very sub par and quite disappointing to say the least, but I had determined that if I could clear my head and go into it open minded, I would go for another schooling opportunity.. and I literally left it to the last possible minute to decide. I was feeling overwhelmed when my truck was broken down and the parts arrived late, so until roughly 2:30 PM on Friday afternoon, I had no idea if I was even going to be able to haul Sierra to the arena for the show. I concluded if I couldn't haul her in on Friday and stall overnight I wouldn't take her, as I am far too busy running the show to haul her in the day of.. but alas the parts arrived, my hubby came thru and ...

Field Trip No. 002 | HTS I Show: C'est La Vie

On Friday, March 1st I left work early and headed home to load my horse trailer full of supplies for the Horse Show that we store at my house.  Our first show of the year was scheduled for Saturday, March 2nd and not only was I running it, but I had also planned to ride in it.  It's a 3 Part Hunter Training Series (AKA HTS I), and we had a Walk/Trot Division, and a Hack Division in addition to over fences from Cross Rails to 2'6 with flats & jogs.  I had entered the W/T under saddles but skipped the in-hand because I didn't feel like it was fair to be eligible for the W/T High Point, and I also entered the 3 Hack Classes.  "C" was bringing Hershey as well, and as a fellow show committee member she and I decided to haul Sierra and Hershey into the arena on Friday to stall over night. This show has been on my radar since much earlier this winter, and it was a stretch goal at best, but I knew I wanted to 'go through the motions' of a show to see how ...