Skip to main content

Day 2 with Queen Kai

Yes, Queen Kai is most definitely a self proclaimed and possibly pre mature nick name. Anyway, so I have officially had Kai here for a little over 24 hours and I feel like I've already learned so much about her.  This horse is going to be such a phenomenal teacher of so many things.  I have a history of becoming over-invested and emotional with Kidd and I think in many ways my temper has flourished under his kindness.  Don't get me wrong, I don't beat my horse by any means but I think like most, I get frustrated when the going gets tough.  One of the things I have learned is she will not let me get away with that. 

Isn't she the cutest?!
I took my lunch break today to play with her and get to know her through everyone's favorite past time, grooming!  She and I trudged our way through the barn yard (It's so ridiculously muddy you don't even know) and walked into the barn.  I brought her into a stall and tied her up - first test, does she actually tie?  She was pretty chill with walking into barn (in fact, she's pretty chill with just about anything) and immediately looked for food, slurped up some water and licked the oat bucket clean of any traces.  I began brushing her without any problems - in fact she seemed to really enjoy it. I made my way through her body making a mental note of any marks or differences that make her an individual.  I brushed as much mud off her legs as I could and upon not being able to locate my hoof pick I moved onto her mane.  I had a feeling she wasn't much for touching her made based on her reaction to it yesterday and she confirmed that today.  With patients and reassurance I made my way through her mane and gave it a little trim as well.




I moved onto her face and forelock and ran into the same issue as her mane.  She got a little pushy and I gave her a smack on the chest and told her to smarten up.  It continued so I gave her another smack and pushed her back a step as she was stepping into me.  She immediately snuggled herself up to the wall and stuck her face in the corner to avoid me.  Wow.  I had a flood of emotions - from 'are you serious?' to 'oh my gosh, I feel so terrible.'. I apologized, reassured her and continued plugging away until I was able to get a few strokes through her forelock before moving away from it.  Its something that is going to take some time, but I have no doubt we will get past it. 

She seems to really appreciate being blanketed, which is nice since I am a blanket advocate for horses in work.  She doesn't have much coat coming from a far warmer climate, but doesn't have much experience with being blanketed. Today I blanketed her in her mud hole of a paddock without a halter and she stood fantastic.

So Muddy - Yuck!!

More things I have learned about Kai:
  • She's just as reactive about her Forelock as her Mane
  • She's fine with her tail being brushed and ears being touched
  • She ties, even when you try and brush her mane
  • She loves food - Carrots too, which I love because Kidd is a treat snob!
  • Her coat seems shinier after just 1 mash (praise camalina oil!)
  • I had my doubts about her height, but after seeing her in a stall I do believe she's close to 16HH
  • Her ears look big from the front and small from behind
  • she has about 1" of mane just behind her bridle path that is determined to go the opposite direction of the rest of her mane

For those curious, Kidd is also doing great.  He's loving life out on grass (yay no mud) with King.  He's fat, fluffy and loving every minute of it - and I love that he loves it! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell, Sierra | How & Why I Chose My Trainer

I've mentioned several times now that Sierra is going down to my trainers, Carol Ann's (often referred to as "CA" because #lazy), and I thought it fitting to make a post solely related to my decision and the process I took to find her.  I have never used a trainer before and it's been several years since I had the pleasure of having a regular coach (IE: a clinician who came here 6x a year), and it wasn't a decision I made lightly.  Perhaps I feel the need to explain myself and work through my decision to clarify things in my own brain, or perhaps I thought my situation may help others who find their way to my blog. Either way, as I write this future-scheduled post, Sierra is currently on the road and I am a total nervous-nelly about the entire situation. Trying on Liners to prepare to pack Late last summer, I was driving 'round and 'round dragging a square baler for hours on end while I contemplated all life's biggest questions.  As I f

Vet Trip #2 For The Big Lady

I don't talk about her a ton, but we were given Lass, a Clydesdale mare with a rough past who is well into her teens, last fall. Friends of ours who live on an acreage but really aren't 'horse people' 'acquired' her after seeing what kind of condition she was in. They had a vet out to address some concerns that included some sort of fungal issue on her legs and open sores housing fly larvae on her back.  The Vet said her teeth were fine, and they did their best to get some weight on her.  They attempted to sell her, but quickly realized it was in her best interest to just give her away to an experienced home. They're friends of ours, and they asked us if we would take her - My hubby has wanted a draft for some time, so he twisted my rubber arm and I agreed. Shortly after our friends acquired her When we went to look at her, it took 4 of us about 30 minutes to catch her.  She was extremely standoffish and made it clear she didn't want anything